Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Valentine Decor

I couldn't help but do a little Valentine decorating. I don't have any specific "Valentine's Day" decorations, except for a couple of dishtowels, because between our Christmas and Halloween decorations, there isn't an inch of holiday storage space to spare.

So, I shopped our house and came up with a couple of suitable Valentine vignettes, I think. First, the mantle...


With the candles lit...


There hasn't been anything on our mantle since I took down the Christmas decorations, because I'm still not sure what should live there between seasons. So first I started with a couple of framed photos from our wedding. Then I added a couple of cute vintage-y looking Valentine's cards...


Some mercury glass candle holders on either side and flowers in egg cups and a milk glass vase...

I also hung a garland I made out of felt circles...



All together again...



Then I focused the rest of my energy on our entryway table. As much as I love decluttering and constantly purging "stuff", one thing I never get rid of is letters and cards. I have a box full of letters and passed notes from jr. high and high school. Half of them don't make sense anymore and some are just embarrassing, but I'll never throw them out. While decorating, I remembered that in that box were also a bunch of valentines I received in grade school. Jack pot!

So I borrowed a mirror from our guest room and stuck the little cards in the sides...



How creepy is this one?


I also gathered books with either red or pink spines for the bottom shelf, and put some roses in a little vase...

And hydrangeas in a pink candy dish...


That's it. The only thing left to decorate is our dining table for the day itself. Then it will all come down so I can decorate for Mark's birthday party at the end of the month.

I hope you all have a sweet Valentine's Day! I'm linking to

Blue Cricket Design's Show Off


DIY Day @ ASPTL



and


Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. soooo cute! great idea moving the mirror to the entry way so it can house your cards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!! I love your garland. I'm the same way with old notes and cards. They are just too precious to throw away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I LOVE the vintage valentine cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the felt banner - i'm dying to try to make a banner myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely decorations! The banner is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only Valentine's Day decorations I have out are a couple of heart shaped candy dishes!!! They look great next to my barely surviving Christmas poinsettia!!
    Lovin' your red and pink touches.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley, Your mantle looks so sweet and romantic! You did a wonderful job. I love your wedding pictures. I would keep those up all year! Beautiful.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies! Your sweet comments make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute and sweet for Valentine's Day!

    Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back tomorrow to see which links from last week are featured, and to add your new links!

    ReplyDelete